Old 05-30-19, 05:39 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Junkbeast
Naturally I started looking at builds around $5K. I figured that since this is my first "really good" bike then I might as well go big and just do it right even if it's overkill for what I ride (400-500 miles per month March-ish to October-ish). I was looking at things like the Rodeo Labs Flaanimal, Open U.P., Canyon Grail, Di2, carbon wheels, custom paint, all of that and more!
You're never going to get one of those frames with custom paint, Di2, and carbon wheels for $5K. That would be more like $10K.

Originally Posted by wgscott
Of all my gratuitous purchases, this one was by far the best-justified five years later. Besides, compared to sending the first of three kids to college, it was spit in the ocean.
Yep, a bling custom bike is cheap compared to a decent college education. That's why I started saving for college when my kid was a fetus...Now she's a sophomore and the costs have zero impact on my monthly budget and lifestyle.

OP: diminishing returns get pretty steep after you spend $3K or so on a new bike, so you aren't sacrificing much by spending that amount of money. And if your house needs improvements, that is a smarter investment anyway.