View Single Post
Old 06-12-19, 12:43 PM
MinnMan

Bikes: 2016 Masi cxgr, 2011 Felt F3 Ltd, 2010 Trek 2.1, 2009 KHS Flite 220, 1991 Bianchi Osprey

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by burnthesheep View Post
In fact, I think if you're a rider on a group ride who constantly drops the group somehow when on your roadie/race bike.......start bringing the slack geometry slow tire bike for a better workout and maybe better tactics. You ride differently when you're able to just attack and disappear versus having to in-fight and conserve/burn.

It's fun once or twice to drop the group up all the hills, but after a while you're just doing intervals alone. It's more fun being "in the mix".

It sounds like a "flex", but it's a valid point to intentionally handicap yourself on a group ride to make it interesting. Nobody is winning anything. Strava PR's or KOMs don't win races or get you a PR in a time trial.
This is good advice. I sometimes (but not always) deliberately bring a slower bike to a group ride that I know is going to be less intense than my capabilities. Not only because it slows me down a little, but also because it is less responsive and reminds me that the point of the ride is to be social or just to get in some base miles. Unlike the OP, my CX bike is markedly slower (steel, heavy, upright geometry but more to the point, 35 mm gravel tires) than my road bike. It's a good choice for some group rides. Not for others.