View Single Post
Old 07-16-19, 10:42 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I've got the Surly Disc Trucker and, as others noted, the 26" vs 700c tire size comes with the bike based on the frame size. I'm short (5' 4") so I have a smaller frame with 26" tires. I've ended up not doing any loaded self-supporting tours yet (ended up doing a couple of week-long tours but my wife drove support so didn't need to carry everything).

I have used it as a back-up road bike and did a couple of century rides on it. Over the last few years, I've also gotten into gravel riding so I pulled the Surly into service for that. No doubt, it's a tank and may not be the best bike for those kinds of rides, but it has served me well enough. While heavy, it does have the lower gearing which I think helps offset the added weight.

Having said all that, I don't think I would get the Surly Trucker if my goal was long-distance road riding (vs loaded touring). Probably would look for something more targeted to long-distance riding where you didn't need to carry a big load. But, if you want to get just one bike, and you know you want to do self-supported tours along with gravel rides and long-distance rides, IMO, the Surly wouldn't be a bad choice.

On the 26" vs 700c decision, as a recreational cyclist, I don't think I can tell much of a difference. The thing I have noticed, especially with regards to using the bike for gravel rides, is there does seem to be a smaller range of tire choices in the 26" size,