Old 10-05-18, 09:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6221 Post(s)
Liked 4,221 Times in 2,367 Posts
Originally Posted by topshopper19
Hi guys,

preparing for the cold cold winter here in London, UK.

is it really dangerous to ride a normal standard carerra mountain bike on icy cold roads? 100% neccessary to swap tires? I'd be willing to go extra slow.

thanks
Yes, it's possible...I did it for the better part of 30 years...but you will fall at some point. Even if you ride as carefully as possible, the front wheel will scrub out and you'll go down faster than you ever thought possible. A studded tire on ice is much better and results in far fewer falls.

That said, I still commute most of the time on a mountain bike with knobs but without studs. Studded tires are just horrible to ride on! They are heavy and if there isn't any ice on the road, noisy as all get out. I just have a bike that is set up for studs that I grab when the roads are bad. But most of the time, I just use the mountain bike and some extra care if there are patches of ice and snow on the ground.

Most people won't agree with this because it is kind of counterintuitive, but I also use clipless for all my rides. I'm not worried about getting my foot down during a fall on ice because putting a foot out to catch you isn't going to catch you at all and is more likely to result in injury. I've crashed more times then I can count...even at speeds that are kind of stupid on ice...but I've never had a serious injury.

Part of the trick is to train yourself to resist the urge to put out your legs or arms to "catch" you. You aren't going to "catch" anything and you are more likely to break a bone doing so. If...no, when you crash (which is still possible with studs), keep everything attached to the bike as much as possible. Let as much of the metal bits of the bike as possible hit the ground first. This will take a lot of the energy of the impact away.

During and after the impact, relax. Don't tense up and "brace for impact". Bracing for impact is the single worst thing you can do in any crash situation. Your muscles are tight, your bones and joints are rigid and any shockwave from the impact will travel along those rigid members causing damage along the way. If you are relaxed, the impact dissipates in the muscles and the joint absorb the impact better. If you become a rag doll, you can still get hurt, for sure, but the injury will be lessened.

Finally, a bit of prudence is warranted even if you have studded tires on a bicycle. You may have them but odds are that the idiots in the cars don't and odds also are that the idiots in the cars are...well...idiots. They will be driving too fast for the conditions and they will claim that mysterious "black ice" jumped out and grabbed the wheel and that no one could have known there was ice lurking under that wet pavement. It will all be on the police report. You'll be squished but at least the paperwork will have been done

Just to be clear, I'm not saying don't ride, just use a bit of judgement. Sometimes it's better to take the bus than have your 3rd dimension invalidated.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!