Old 10-05-18, 10:11 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by cyccommute
…Finally, a bit of prudence is warranted even if you have studded tires on a bicycle. You may have them but odds are that the idiots in the cars don't and odds also are that the idiots in the cars are...well...idiots.

They will be driving too fast for the conditions and they will claim that mysterious "black ice" jumped out and grabbed the wheel and that no one could have known there was ice lurking under that wet pavement

It will all be on the police report. You'll be squished but at least the paperwork will have been done

Just to be clear, I'm not saying don't ride, just use a bit of judgement. Sometimes it's better to take the bus than have your 3rd dimension invalidated.
Nicely said @cyccocommute. I have posted:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
I’m an early morning reverse, outbound urban commuter from downtown to a suburb, and for winter commuting I ride Marathon Winter studded tires.

When it snows, especially at night, I seek out major thoroughfares, since they are the first plowed and the best maintained. I find the Marathon Winters are rideable through up to about three inches of snow.

There is usually not much traffic in my direction at that time of day, and but major concern for snowy roads is still traction for the traffic. I wear a rearview mirror and carefully monitor upcoming (and oncoming) cars for skidding.

On one occasion I was able to go up a hill that the cars could not negotiate, so I enjoyed a short traffic-free ride until traffic entered from side streets further up the hill.
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Generally I get kudos or just indifference towards my cycling, mostly as a year-round commuter here in Metro Boston, even after my serious accident four years ago.

The most hostile remarks, particularly in Winter, are from those drivers who fear for themselves to hit me.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 10-05-18 at 11:03 AM.