Old 02-09-19, 10:57 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
That's a really nice subtle shade of brown, great finish too, seems to have some shine. Looks perfect in the pics. Is that spray-on or brush-on Rusto? Love the thumb shif-ters, I wish Shimano would start making those again, as it is they're practically worth their weight in gold.

I have lots more fun with projects like this than buying something brand new. My problem is, I never know when I'm "done", so at some point, the bike eventually winds up in pieces again.

It really takes some extreme discipline to restrain myself from making more changes, or putting the parts onto another frame I think will be "more better". But hey, it's my stuff, and I paid for it, so why not?
Thanks. "Rattle can", so yes, spray on. I took a lot of time prepping, sanding, primer, sanding, first coat, sanding, second coat, sanding, clear coat. It took about a week altogether, most of the time in drying between coats. It has held up pretty well for 10 years, but lately the shine has dulled and a few scratches are showing up. But I'll just live with the beausage. Maybe a spot of clear nail polish here and there to prevent rust.

I have the same "problem" with making changes and upgrades to these old project bikes. But that's really the fun of them. I'd have probably sold this one long ago if I hadn't moved the Campy drivetrain and custom made wheels (Torelli rims and Phil Wood hubs) over from a Bridgestone RB-1 that I was upgrading again.

Projects like this was how I learned to set up my new bikes, which are almost always builds from frames. Those projects are even more fun, but WAY more expensive!

re: thumb shifters, although Shimano doesn't make them anymore, Microshift makes very good ones with models compatible with their 9, 10 and 11 speed systems, both road and MTB.