Old 07-02-19, 10:10 AM
nazcalines

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera
Check the Derail Hanger for alignment w/ the proper tool 1st?
It does matter.....

-Bandera
Thanks... yes it definitely does matter. When I first started troubleshooting this I checked the alignment and it was off by 4mm at the rim. Corrected it, but it wasn't enough to solve the problem.

Originally Posted by Eggman84
If your shifter is progressively pulling more cable (as you shift from high to low gears) then you have a problem; they don't work that way. Or I could be wrong, in which case provide a couple websites that say they do pull progressively more cable so I learn something new. Maybe otheres could weigh in whether Shimano 10 speed road shifters work this way.
You want me to provide websites that backup my cable pull measurements so that you can learn something new? Put your bike in your workstand and measure it. Takes all of 5 min.

Originally Posted by Wilfred Laurier
This statement displays a common but obvious misunderstanding of how derailleurs are set up, esp. the limit screws. The L limit screw will have no impact on anything other that the maximum inboard position. You can have the L limit screw all the way out, all that way in, or completely removed and it will have no impact on anything but the inboard-most position of the derailleur. Literally zero impact on indexing beyond the innermost cog(s).
Yes the limit screws limit the derailleur for the first and last cogs. I think most people get that. The point of this thread is what happens when there is too much cable pull and the derailleur isn't indexing properly.