Old 08-23-19, 06:07 PM
Joe Bikerider

Bikes: 1969 Peugeot PX10, 1992 Della Santa, Linus Roadster 8, Biria 700C ST-8

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 794 Post(s)
Liked 508 Times in 322 Posts
Bike crash at Bancroft and Canal trail crossing

In Walnut Creek, ca there is a report today about a "likely" fatal crash at the intersection between the Contra Costa Canal trail and Bancroft Road. This is a major route for both type of vehicles. Cyclists are going east/west along that pretty busy MUP and cars are going north/south along Bancroft. I went through that intersection earlier in the day. It is two lanes on each side of the road and a pretty wide intermediate planted areaa.. I was annoyed to see a cyclist not wait for the lights and just jumped through the first two lanes and then wait in the middle and the jump the rest of the way when it was clear. But who an I to say? This collision came along later and was reported here.

ALERT: Bancroft Rd. Closed Near Black Bear Diner In Walnut Creek Due To Collision ?claycord CLAYCORD.com

Very sad. I have no idea who was doing what at that intersection and in fact I have seen bad behavior from all sides. I've always considered this a pretty safe crossing. But this will make me think twice, that's for sure. We will see what further reports are. That's me in my rational side. This is my other side: I'm sick of being put in danger by these cars. And I think it's getting worse. Like this example of a normally safe intersection is now something I am afraid of.