View Single Post
Old 01-22-20, 04:25 AM
hobbs1951
Velominatus

Bikes: 1986 SBDU Raleigh, 1984 Raleigh Corsa, 1980 Allin Stan Butler Special, 2 x late 1960s Roberts, 1978 Philbook, 1964 Allin Belgique, 1959 Allin Stan Butler Special, 1951 Higgins Plus Parfait, 1951 Hobbs of Barbican, 1913 Centaur Featherweight.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 195 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Devon1979
Hi All,

Just getting back in to cycling (wife bought me a Trek Dual Sport 4 for my 40th) and totally new to touring but planning to cycle (self contained but staying at hostels) the Camino de Santiago in Spain in May/June of this year. Was considering between the French route or the North Route and seem to leaning towards the French route (but starting from Pampalona). All in all should be a little over 700 kms (approx 450 miles) to Santiago de Compostela and planning on 11 Days in the saddle (so 60 - 70 km a day).

I've been cycling 10 - 20 km 3 - 4 times a week for last couple of months without too much effort, so not starting from zero, but I guess a long ways off from where I need to be fitness wise. How tough is it to cycle 70km a day for consecutive days?

Planning to start training in earnest in Feb and looking for any suggestions on how to structure my training (or is it as simple as ride as much as possible). I will plan to be able to at ride 70 km 3 - 4 days consecutively before I head off, would this likely be enough fitness wise to be able to do then do 11 days of similar riding?
I think for someone just getting back to cycling attempting something like the Camino is very ambitious, 70 kms day after day requires considerable endurance (cycling 10 or 20 kms doesn't bear comparison to 70 kms - especially as your 10-20 kms is from home and back!). Factor in the changeable weather conditions you're likely to encounter - plus the crowds, and the distance becomes even more of a challenge: mentally and physically.

You are have to think about maintenance, are you capable of basic maintenance: such as changing an inner tube, what would you do if you have a breakage - more fundamental is the bicycle suitable ?

I have walked and cycled the Camino (both twice) but (thankfully) before it became popularised by the internet, someone on thread was correct is asking whether you wanted a pilgrimage experience or a cycle-touring one ? A good question.

The alternative of course is to just satisfy yourself with cycling part of the route - say half of it. No shame in that.

John.

Last edited by hobbs1951; 01-22-20 at 04:29 AM.