Heretic

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant OCR3, Giant CRS3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2827 Post(s)
Liked 561 Times in 429 Posts
Originally Posted by Devon1979
Hi All,

Just getting back in to cycling (wife bought me a Trek Dual Sport 4 for my 40th) and totally new to touring but planning to cycle (self contained but staying at hostels) the Camino de Santiago in Spain in May/June of this year. Was considering between the French route or the North Route and seem to leaning towards the French route (but starting from Pampalona). All in all should be a little over 700 kms (approx 450 miles) to Santiago de Compostela and planning on 11 Days in the saddle (so 60 - 70 km a day).

I've been cycling 10 - 20 km 3 - 4 times a week for last couple of months without too much effort, so not starting from zero, but I guess a long ways off from where I need to be fitness wise. How tough is it to cycle 70km a day for consecutive days?

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,

Devon
Hi Devon,

I've done two Caminos on a bike, the Levante (from Valencia across via Toledo and Zamora) and the Norte from Bordeaux.

Your wife is very generous, that looks like a nice bike and certainly up to the task.

The question is are you.....up to the task? Ten to 30kms. isn't much but it's a start. You will need to increase it gradually to around your target for the tour and put in a good few full days (6-8 hours) in the saddle. You'll need to include some climbing into your preparation also.
Going straight into a 450 mile Camino isn't what I'd normally recommend for someone new to touring but if you're determined enough it's very doable.
Age isn't a factor as I did mine when I was 68 & 69 but the main advice I'd give you is not to tie yourself down to a time period if at all possible. Don't book a flight home 12 days from the start, it will put pressure on you to keep pushing on when you really would be better taking a rest day.
A couple of warnings: The French route is seriously overcrowded, I have this on very good authority. If you are thinking of doing the walking routes think again unless your bike handling is very good which I suspect it isn't. You could seriously injure yourself on muddy rocky climbing/descending narrow paths. Keep to the tarmac roads if at all possible.
The hostels (albergues) won't be your main problem although I agree with the points others have made, beware of rustling walkers getting going in the dorms from 5.30am on.
If your thinking of flying out from Santiago airport with your Trek then be aware this airport requires you to box your bike but this can be arranged with the bag-wrapping guy in departures who has a supply of flat-pack bike boxes, for about €18.

Best of luck and get back to me if you've any questions.