Old 01-22-20, 02:30 PM
Devon1979

Bikes: Trek Dual Sport 4

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by hobbs1951
I think for someone just getting back to cycling attempting something like the Camino is very ambitious, 70 kms day after day requires considerable endurance (cycling 10 or 20 kms doesn't bear comparison to 70 kms - especially as your 10-20 kms is from home and back!). Factor in the changeable weather conditions you're likely to encounter - plus the crowds, and the distance becomes even more of a challenge: mentally and physically.

You are have to think about maintenance, are you capable of basic maintenance: such as changing an inner tube, what would you do if you have a breakage - more fundamental is the bicycle suitable ?

I have walked and cycled the Camino (both twice) but (thankfully) before it became popularised by the internet, someone on thread was correct is asking whether you wanted a pilgrimage experience or a cycle-touring one ? A good question.

The alternative of course is to just satisfy yourself with cycling part of the route - say half of it. No shame in that.

John.
John,

Thanks for your reply. I'm actually wrapping up work in a little under 10 days so I'm going to be able to dedicate myself to some serious training in the months ahead of the planned trip. I also live in a hilly part of Spain, and although drier than Green Spain, should afford some decent training over the chillier months.

Likewise with maintenance, testing out gear, packing etc I hope that with a few lengthy rides under my belt I will have figured out several of these points before the start of the trip.

Definitely giving some thought to doing the Northern Route, and possibly a shorter route say from Santander to Santiago D C.

Cheers for your input.