View Single Post
Old 12-21-20, 10:40 AM
Rixtory

Bikes: 1986 Cilo 12 Speed, 2003 Trek 7700 FX, 2016 Specialized Diverge, 2020 Specialized Turbo Vado 5-SL

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I purchased a Vado 5 SL-EQ last week as a christmas gift for myself..
In my early 60's, I have been riding for a long time now - All Road. I love biking but after 3 aortic valve replacement surgeries and a pacemaker this year and surgeries on Left knee and right quad, I simply cannot get up these Pennsylvania hills and mountains like I once proudly did. I found my daily riding becoming a smaller circuit and less miles as I feel trapped inside my valley, surrounded by hills. Enter the Vado 5-SL.

I struggled between the regular and the superlight until I realized what I wanted was something light that I could ride without power, but have a little assist when I need to get up a hill, or a the end of a longer ride, not having to limp home.
I didn't really care as much for the EQ, since all I really wanted was a plastic front fender and rear rack for winter riding, but I figure I can take those accoutrements off for 3-season riding.

I've got 66 miles on the bike now (no small feat considering the amount of snow we had last week) and am absolutely amazed at the ability it gives me. I haven't had it in turbo mode for anything other than assist ups some long hills (1-2 miles with 500'-800' climbs) and have used Eco and sport modes sparingly in bursts on shorter hills, but with proper use of low end gears
So far, this week, I have been out 6 times and riding without power as much as possible.
Now for that TCD display. What nightmare - Took me 3 rides to figure it out.
I also have to have software updated. Does anyone know what the first update entails? The LBS (wasn't so local ) I purchased from is 300 miles away - Closest that had both in Large, in stock. My Specialized LBS (Where I got my Diverge 4 years ago) had nothing in stock and nothing available to order.

Does anyone have any idea what the charge would be to update the software?
I am hoping that this bike lasts. I tried the Trek and the Giant similar versions, but was really taken with the Vado.
I would love to hear other comments also (I might start a new thread too)