Thread: 27 1/4" Rims?
View Single Post
Old 05-17-20, 09:50 PM
branko_76 

Bikes: ........................................ .....Holdsworth "Special"..... .......Falcon "Special".......... .........Miyata 912........... ........................................

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 702 Post(s)
Liked 672 Times in 420 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
The original rims are Rigida rims but they appear to be warped despite my muliplte attempts to tru them. The bike is rideable but when examxaminging the bike on my repair rack they wobble
Trueing old wheels can be a rabbit hole. Ideally, all spokes on the same side of the rim should have uniform tension. After multiple attempts to true a wheel, spoke tension can be all over the map making the wheel more susceptible to becoming out-of-true again.

I recently restored a 1970's 10 speed and like you, I wanted to keep it original. I trued the original wheels but after checking the spoke tensions, they were all different so I knew the trueness would not last. After unlacing the wheels, I checked the rims on a flat surface, and then bent them so that they were flat. I also checked their roundness with a tape measure and corrected the deviations. I then re-laced, trued, and checked the spoke tensions, they were all within narrow tollerance so I chalked it up as a win.

These old rims are also straight walled (no hooks), the Continental tires I bought state right on the sidewall USE ONLY ON HOOKED RIMS, well, that didn't stop me. With safety goggles and aviator ear muffs on, I inflated them to 100psi, let them sit that way for a few days and then took it for a spin. So far so good.

I will not be loading this bike for touring and will not be riding it competitively. It's simply a nice vintage 10 speed that I will tool around in.

Last edited by branko_76; 05-18-20 at 11:33 AM.
Likes For branko_76: