Old 05-25-20, 08:20 AM
jackbombay

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 457 Post(s)
Liked 462 Times in 270 Posts
Originally Posted by bikemig
I know that area. I've hiked all through Bear Mountain and Harriman. I've cycled on both sides of the Hudson and in upstate NY as well. NY has some of the finest bike riding I've ever seen. And there are some serious hills and climbs on the ride you did.
Some great terrain around here for sure! I've been googling around for rides in the catskills, that's a bit more of a drive than I'd like from here, but I LOVE springtime with vibrant green foliage everywhere, and I'm sure it would be a ride I'd remember for decades to come, so a ~2.5 hour drive is tolerable in light of that.

So is that Schwinn Continental a keeper, a permanent part of your fleet? Or was this just a temporary sort of New York dalliance sort of like a Sex and the City episode?
Temp bike, I normally fly with my 1985 Dahon 3 speed folding bike, but my boss said he was going to buy a bike that I could use while here and then leave it with him for him to own, but the bikes he was looking at all got bought before he could get them, so when I showed up I didn't have my folder, and he didn't have a bike, and man, I've never seen CL so devoid of lower end bikes. I found a used bike shop online called Gallery 35, he said he had sold ~%80 of his stock over the last few weeks, this Continental was all he had that was even slightly appealing to me, and I was taking time off the clock to try to go look at bikes so picking one and getting it over with was really in my best interest.

Do you mind saying how much you paid for it? No big deal if you don't but I'm curious how bad prices are in NYC during the pandemic.
$165. I should be able to wring it out of my boss though and then leave the bike with him.

Last edited by jackbombay; 05-25-20 at 08:26 AM.