Old 05-18-11, 07:15 PM
goagain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the new posts--I'm loving them all!

I don't feel bad about wanting a pretty color. Pretty is good! Fortunately, all four of these look OK. I think the components, other than those being discussed, are the same on all four models. But how will I know if the designers "made good choices"? I'm not trying to be a smart-a, I'm sincerely asking.

According to the specs on the Giant website, these models are cromo. I'm sure neither the cromo nor the aluminum ones are high quality because these are all very inexpensive bikes as far as bike shop brands go. The majority consensus so far seems to be that cheap cromo frames are as good as or better than cheap aluminum ones (and probably even weigh close to the same) and don't have the added weight of the not-good-at-all suspension fork. I'm just recapping the majority of the posts I've read. I don't claim to have any direct knowledge on these matters. And, I've also read that it is more difficult to make a quality aluminum frame than it is to make a quality steel one--?? Anyone want to elaborate on Tall's post? It may sway my decision! I'm here to learn and would love to hear more of the pro-alum viewpoint.

It's the clunkier fork that bothers me more than the material per se, although it's my understanding the low-end aluminum models need them because of aluminum's properties. All the low-end alum bikes I've looked at have those forks. I think it will make it harder to pedal and probably not be that durable. I don't have any real aches and pains and am not as concerned with a perfectly smooth ride as I am with the strength required for climbing those hills in my neighborhood. I could be totally off base here, though. I may breeze up the hills (NOT!) and then be covered with bruises. LOL

OK, everyone--please weigh (no pun intended) in on this. Every time I think I've finally made up my mind, I read more and start doubting again.