View Single Post
Old 02-23-18, 03:07 AM
berlinonaut

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 319 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by avole
I would stick with the steel, for the reasons stated above. Also, go with the 6 gears, you won't regret it, and consider both the rack and the front bag attachment. They make both touring and local supermarket shopping much easier. Don't bother with the front dynamo lights, modern USB lights are much better.
Agreed with the hint to the front luggage - very important as non-Bromptonauts underestimate it's value dramatically. Not agreed with USB-lights - it is a matter of taste and "better" clearly is just opinion w/o any foundation given. I have Bromptons with battery lights, Shimano Dynamo, classic SON and the semiradial SON and clearly favor the combination SON/Edelux 2 as it is maintenance free, fool proof and gives the best light while not annoying other people in traffic and - other than the Shimano - has no noticable drag, is far lighter and a piece of craftsmanship that lasts forever. But it clearly depends from what the OP uses his bike for. Same goes for blades, rack and 6 speed. Personally I'd not want to have a Brompton w/o blades due to the weather conditons in Germany. I like the rack for it's stabilizing function when rolling the folded bike as well as for carrying stuff and hate it for optics and weight - what's best depends again from your needs. If the OP plans to do loaded touring I'd agree on the six-speed or rather a modified version of it or an alternative hub. If it is fiddling around town(s) it is the two speed and if it is unloaded touring again it depends. I've i.e. been touring in the German alps with a two-speed ti-brommi w/o a rack and with a trailer attached. Worked flawlessly. Or w/o a rack and with a Carradice Camper long flap on the saddle along with a touring bag on the front. Great combination. So it really depends to a degree on what the OP wants to do with his Brompton. Plus, in many cases a Brompton canibalizes an existing bike in the sense that the Brompton gets used far more than intended while the existing bike sits in the corner, eating dust.

From what the OP has offered regarding choice of models and information until now I'd stick with my statement "2-speed ti CHPT3".

Last edited by berlinonaut; 02-23-18 at 03:51 AM.