View Single Post
Old 05-21-19, 02:20 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by StephenH
I've used skewer mounts, that works fine, light over the front wheel works okay, but to be honest, I can't see a whole lot of advantage one way or the other. Supposedly, over the wheel is what the lights are designed for, but they seem to work well either way.
I tried mounting a light down low, a few inches above the axle/skewer height off of the ground. With the light that low, anything on the road, leaves or perhaps just a bumpy road made much larger shadows than a light up higher would make.

I picked up a used dynohub wheel for a cheap price, put it on my errand bike that I use for grocery store runs. And I had a vintage D-Lumotec light that I was not using, the result is the light in the photo on the fender mount.

For the streets where I ride near home on my errand bike I can live with the light down that low, but I would not want to ride a long way at night on unfamiliar roads with the shadows you get with the light that low. But on the plus side, it was the simplest wiring job I ever did.