View Single Post
Old 10-09-19, 11:59 AM
bpcyclist

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 451 Post(s)
Liked 364 Times in 227 Posts
I almost got t-boned by one of these guys about two weeks ago. I was at a stop sign turning left and about to head up a pretty good hill. I looked very carefully as I always do and saw no cars, no lights, no movement, no nothing. 5 o'clock in the morning and still little overall traffic out. I eased forward and clipped in. Then, suddenly, out of nowhere, a road bike screams past my front tire perpendicular to me, doing maybe, I don't know, 20 mph. We literally just missed each other. He said nothing, didn't stop, and just continued on down the street. He had no headlight of any kind, no reflectors, no rear lighting, and no reflective clothing. Riding in the pitch black. I had to stop just to catch my breath. Terrified.

Here, these guys usually ride against traffic, making it a bit easier to potentially see them from across the street as you pass them by. This one was in the bike lane like any other normal rider. He just couldn't be seen. With no reflectivity and no illumination, I had no shot. I was very lucky.