Old 07-11-20, 01:35 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by kevindhaun
Mech986, thanks for all of the great information on my Superlight. I never dreamed anyone would still be around to answer these questions.You have confirmed this truly is the missing link between Italy and Japan. It has the Italian craftsmanship with the Japanese name. I checked and the Super Record RD is dated 78 , so that matches the front. Sadly, the stem broke at the bottom where the wedge fits in and I can't use it anymore. The frame finally cracked after 40 years. The drilling of the rear dropouts weakened them and I got a small crack on the right side . I was fearing I had lost my bike forever but a local shop was able to send the frame out to a welder who filled in the triangle and fixed it without much damage to the chrome. You asked about the chrome and the forks were always fully chromed but the rear was only chromed on the right chainstay and the tips of the seatstays. Before I repainted it , I chromed the whole frame , and CycleArt thought it would look great to leave the whole rear end I agree.
Thanks for the update and sorry to hear about the needed dropout repair. Where did you get the frame rechromed and roughly how much did they charge you? Here in LA/OC, not many shops left that can do rechroming due to air and ground pollution control costs. I would certainly consider doing that to a couple of frames I have.