Old 06-28-18, 04:19 AM
dennis336

Bikes: Trek Domane, Surly Disc Trucker

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 68 Posts
I probably won't say anything that hasn't already been said in previous posts but here's my personal take:
  • I generally ride alone but I may join up to a dozen or so charity rides over the course of a year.
  • I don't join rides that have a very high fundraising minimum, that is, more than I'm willing to pay on my own.
  • I'm not comfortable asking anyone to support me in a ride by contributing to the fundraising minimum ... feels like I'd be asking others to support what, for me, is a fun day out on my bike. I suppose that could change if a particular cause or organization became especially meaningful to me but, still, asking others to contribute for my bike ride isn't something I've yet felt comfortable doing.
  • Most of the fundraising rides I do have fairly low, or even optional, fundraising requirements over and above a modest registration fee. They're often local organizations where even a few thousand dollars total raised can be a help. A couple examples are: 1) a ride that was sponsored by a bike club that contributed any profits from the ride to the local high school cross country team - so, even a few thousand dollars was a nice boost for them 2) Another ride that provided lunches to needy kids, I think primarily in their summer programs. Small town/rural area where even a few thousand dollars I expect was a big help 3) Then, and this was a bigger ride with a higher/although still modest fundraising minimum was a ride that supported the Land Trust for that area of the state ... the ride goes through a lot of the Land Trust/Open Space areas so you had a sense of the good use the money was put to.
  • Having said the above, agree with the points that, my primary goal is to contribute to an organization, I'll just write them a check.
  • When I look at options for fundraising rides, I'm thinking 1) It's an opportunity to find some new roads that I may not have stumbled on myself - I often go back and then explore other variations and loops 2) I'm motivated to do a longer ride than I might do when I'm riding by myself - all my century rides have been on charity rides 3) While I enjoy the solitude of riding by myself, I also enjoy the random encounters/social aspect from a charity ride so it's a nice change-up for me and 4) It's a good opportunity to support a good cause although, as noted, if my primary goal is to support a cause, I'll write a check directly
  • The things that make a great ride for me are 1) A great, scenic route 2) Well organized with good rest stops and 3) The 'after-ride' ... one of my favorites in this areas has great food trucks, blue-grass band and a beautiful setting.
  • Since I'm not a competitive cyclist (i.e.no racing) rider, the charity ride atmosphere works for me and I enjoy doing them