Old 02-07-19, 12:48 PM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
If the important geometry is the same, then sure it's a gravel bike. Call it that if you want...it isn't a big deal either way.

if a level top tube frame and a sloping top tube frame have identical HTA, STA, trail, bottom bracket drop, tire clearance, chainstay length, stack height, and reach- then yeah they are capable of doing the same things and feel free to call them the same thing.

a decent real world example-
I have a black mountain cycles gravel frame with canti brakes that uses a level top tube. The disc brake frame has almost identical geometey, but uses a sloping top tube to get a higher stack height as that's the one measurement thats different.
both are gravel frames.
Great example. In fact, I used to own and ride one of the canti version Black Mtn Monster Cross frames and I now have the new disc version MCD. They both gobble up miles of gravel roads like nothing else I've ridden and they have a very similar fit and feel. The only times I notice the sloping tube on the new bike is having more crotch clearance when I stop and straddle the bike and when I have enough exposed seat post to easily clamp the bike in my work stand.

Sloping top tubes has been the industry norm for road bikes for many years. This is not something specific to gravel bikes. There are some exceptions, but not very many that I am aware of.