Old 09-23-19, 11:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18381 Post(s)
Liked 4,512 Times in 3,354 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
100k for a 9yo is stout.
Having 12 and 8yo girls, I cant imagine doing 100k with them.
My oldest did 38 mi when she was 10 and my younger did that distance earlier this year. The pace and continued encouragement would be draining for them to have completed 100k.

Impressive that your youngest can accomplish that distance.

As for the gravel- its practice. Practice and notice. You guys do it right with calling out what's approaching so she can prepare.

The kenda kontender tire is 507 sized per isla.
https://www.islabikes.com/product/ch...tire-luath-24/

A 23mm tire is absurd for an 8 or 9yo. Just no upside to it unless they are competitive youth triathletes, and even then I would think a 25 or 28mm tire could be just as good overall. That's a super narrow tire to have to keep pumped for such a light body.
Odd that a youth bike company would spec a 23mm tire.

Unfortunately, there arent a lot of 24" tires that are light, supple, and as wide as you want(or that will fit the bike). The 507 size especially.

Circle back to- practice and warning.
I think it depends on the family.

I'd have a lot of troubles motivating my nephew and niece for long rides, and they just don't have the endurance built up to keep going.

But, as a kid, a couple of years we did rides to my grandparent's house. Usually 2 days, with the first day Eugene to Roseburg, and the second day, Roseburg to Riddle. There was one hill in the middle with stretches of gravel. I don't remember anything special about it, other than it was a bit of a pain. I can't remember the exact ages, but I presume it was younger than about 14 for me. I can remember Mom was struggling some (and as a young teenager, not having a lot of patience).

We also did bike-a-thons, which I believe were about 80 miles. And, at least one was done on the little green bike (24" wheels). All I remember was struggling with a flat tire somewhere in the middle. I can't say that I finished that year, but I did finish some.

Anyway, if a kid is comfortable doing 10 or 20 mile rides, then they could likely do much longer rides.