View Single Post
Old 09-25-19, 08:19 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3462 Post(s)
Liked 1,468 Times in 1,145 Posts
Originally Posted by gauvins
Thanks.

One more thing -- what happens if you adjust seat + handlebars such that they are much lower. Would it fit a child or would it totally screw the geometry? I've never considered a folding as a child bike, but it might have been a better solution. We are still probably one frame away from adult size. (I have hand-me-down opportunities, so not all is lost) .
That particular bike comes in one size. I use an adjustable stem to get the bars up a bit higher. But I think that bike would have the geometry of about a 56 cm top tube if it had a top tube. Maybe a flat bar would work on it for a child but drop bars would put the bars too far forward for a child. Mine is from a UK company. I think they mostly made that model as a commuter that you could also fold and take on the train.

On an adult size regular bike I set up my bikes with a longer reach than I have on the folder. To compensate for the shorter reach, my bars are a few inches lower (relative to the saddle) on the folder than on my adult size bikes, I do that so I have about the same amount of forward lean in my lower back when I ride the folder.

The better folders have quality components like regular bikes. But some folders have unique components for that particular brand. And some folders have a shorter axle on the front hub than normal bikes. Mine has normal full size bike components with the exception of the smaller diameter wheels, but not all folders have regular bike components.

I suspect that you can easily find good used kid size bikes much cheaper than you can a quality folder. So a folder might not be much of a bargain if you are looking for a substitute for a kids sized bike.

I do not have much experience with other folders, so I can't really say much about them.