Old 10-19-19, 06:53 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1446 Post(s)
Liked 762 Times in 570 Posts
Originally Posted by Phamilton
Width of the tire isn’t the only factor in ride quality. A high quality 32mm tire might fit and not require messing with the drivetrain or welding the frame.
This is true. The bike came with 28mm Paselas, and I was expecting good things based on reviews I've read of those, but I wasn't very happy with their ride. The wheels have a bit of a hop to them (more than I can true out of them) and the pressures I have to keep in those 28mm tires (which really measure about 25mm) meant that I felt EVERYTHING, the road grain, the wheel hop, etc.

I very well might find some really nice 32s (that actually measure 32mm!). The 35mm Bontragers (34mm actual) have a very nice ride quality and also tolerate lower pressures, low enough that I don't really feel the hop in the rims anymore. They also have a raised center tread (not unlike something like a Continental Tour Ride) which gives them a very smooth and comfortable ride. So I'll run these for now.

This bike is N+5 for me, so it's not a have-to-fix-it-now-or-else bike. I like these older Peugeots and this one is in a color I like, so I popped on it. Lots of fun for 40 bucks.