Old 05-23-19, 11:21 AM
roundrocktom

Bikes: Catrike Dumont

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
Whew... this thyroid thing is a roller coaster.
I've been on Thyroid medication for 47 years. 200 mcg. Doesn't seem possible, but my thyroid grew to 4x standard size but quit producing when I was 13 years old. Since 1971 I've been taking that pill. It was cows extract back then, and you never knew how to dose. Every cow was different but kept me going. Synthroid came out maybe 30 or 40 years ago, and it worked great. Every time I use a generic to save money, my energy level was all over the place. Went back on name brand, TSH good, felt good.

I did learn an interesting tidbit. Walnuts mess up the Synthroid uptake. My cycling days I would pack walnuts and raisins as my energy food. Ride a lot, eat a lot of walnuts... so I was self-inducing oscillations. Had I always consisting eaten the same amount, TSH levels would have been constant but I didn't eat that daily, nor even weekly.

These days my healthy snack is almonds and dates.

Not enough post history for links, so you have to remove spaces

www. synthroid. com/starting/taking-synthroid-the-right-way
  • Foods like soybean flour, cottonseed meal, walnuts, and dietary fiber may cause your body to absorb less SYNTHROID from the gastrointestinal tract. Grapefruit juice may cause your body to absorb less levothyroxine and may reduce its effect. Let your doctor know if you eat these foods, as your dose of SYNTHROID may need to be adjusted