View Single Post
Old 07-18-19, 07:52 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Actually this was in Connecticut. Previous rides I've done in New York were a lot nicer once I got north of a ridge in Yonkers about five miles from where I start - did my first century last August on what felt like a hot but not unreasonable day in Westchester then got off a train back to the city and found it still unbearable there at midnight.

Riding a century in the city defies my imagination, this will be the last year they run the event that was about that.
Oh, you are the unicycle guy. Cool. I'm from Long Island and I'm familiar with the geography. We used to take the ferry from Pt. Jefferson to Bridgeport and ride the Blooming Metric in May.

My first year in Georgia was an eye opener. Every year in April it shoots up to the 80's and the runners and cyclists are complaining, dragging their feet, pace is way off, etc. The same thing happens in June when the temps rise to the mid 90's. The first few days are brutal. Then everyone calms down and goes about their business.

I just don't think northerners are as acclimated to the heat. That isn't an insult, just an observation. One would expect an Eskimo to be uncomfortable in the desert. I also don't think specific foods are the issue. Hydrate, pace may have to be slowed and distance shortened but ride in the heat enough and you will get used to it.

Also keep in mind that nausea is a sign of heat stress, usually related to salt depletion. Your body is rejecting food to keep blood from flowing to the stomach muscles. Instead it wants to keep blood flowing to the brain. Do anything you can to reduce the temperature of your core. Lots of cold water if you can get it. Pour water on yourself. A superlight summer jersey will help. Look into Endurolytes.

https://www.webmd.com/fitness-exerci...t-exhaustion#1

https://www.medicinenet.com/heat_exhaustion/article.htm

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 07-18-19 at 07:55 AM.