Old 06-29-20, 12:20 PM
autonomy

Bikes: 2012 Canondale Synapse 105, 2017 REI Co-Op ADV 3.1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 507 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by UniChris
Yes, I didn't have a lot of time before dark so started curving homewards went not too far west of where I'd been before. But this is a "route 66" all of which I could probably manage to ride ;-)

Sounds tempting. How rugged is the road? Dirt and gravel are fine, I'm not great on obstacles, crosscut water channels or larger loose or embedded rocks though. And I don't do well in slippery mud.

Alas today looks to be the last nice day before a predicted week of rain. If I'd though of this earlier might have tried for it this afternoon, but just invited my nephew to join me in riding the rail trail the other way so may be committed to that.
Yeah, that is a route 66 that is more manageable than the one everyone tours on

For the Knightville Dam road, well... the first mile, mile and a half it's pretty smooth from what I remember, then gets rougher, MTB or gravel bike terrain. I haven't gone all the way up but from what I've seen it's pretty standard stuff; can obviously get muddy the way NE trails do but there are elevated bridges. https://www.pioneerframeworks.com/about.html, scroll down to "Favorite Dirt Road Riding Spot" - those two pictures are great representations of what it looks like.