Dark Arrow

Bikes: Vivente Patagonia, Giant Expedition, Raleigh Twenty, Brompton

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Bummed about my Brompton BB recalls and 5mm

Hi All

Last week I purchased a new Brompton from my LBS. The tag and receipt states 2016 model of which I thought I was buying. It didn't have a rack but no worries I thought I would buy an after market one.
I tried to register my Brompton tonight and my serial number was not accepted. The website kept stating to put in a valid serial number and that bikes older than 2016 could not be registered. Hmm I looked at a website post where someone stated that the first 2 digits of the serial number are the year it was made. Mine is 14123XXXXX which would suggest 2014. The website also stated my serial number was under recall for a BB issue. Not feeling too happy about my little red Brommie at the moment. Then to pour salt on my wounds there is some issue with rear racks about 5mm and 6mm bolts of which I'm still confused. Venting I guess but I've ridden this bike prolly close to 70ks already and I'm happy with the bike but not buying one so old, especially now that I have to deal with a recall and figuring out if/how to put a rear rack on.

Any suggestions on a good rear rack?

Are the 5mm bolts only on the rollers I have or is it where the rack stays mount to the frame as well?
I'm guessing any rack will fit but they all have 6mm mounting for the rack wheels and my frame mounted wheels are 5mm. Is this correct? or is my frame bolts for the rack 5mm as well ?

Bummed Brompton owner

Bear

Last edited by Dark Arrow; 07-15-19 at 01:09 PM.