View Single Post
Old 06-16-16, 03:13 PM
reverborama
Broom Wagon Fodder

Bikes: Fuji Supreme; Kona Wo; Nashbar road frame custom build; Schwinn Varsity; Nishiki International; Schwinn Premis, Falcon Merckx, American Flyer muscle bike, Motobecane Mulekick

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 30 Posts
American Flyer Muscle Bike

Another foolish restoration in the works. I dragged home this little beauty last week:

And by "dragged" I mean boxed up and flown from NJ to MN for more than the bike was worth. This excludes me from the $100 bike challenge as the price of a chain and brake pads will push me over the top. But this was my bike in 8th grade so there is some sentimental value. It's very rusty and has been beaten to death by my younger brothers. One of the challenges is that I'm just a little bigger than I was in 8th grade... I wrestled then so I know what I weighed. 88 lbs. Now I'm 6-3 240. So I'm having some new wheels built up to handle my extra ampleness. The Shimano 3-speed hub is toast so we'll find a use SA with 36 holes and new alloy rims. Luckily the Lowrider culture makes longer stems, seatposts, handlebars, and sissy bars plentiful and affordable. The 1-piece crank is only 4.5 inches (120mm). If I think it will not cause pedal strikes I'll put in a 3-piece 140mm BMX crank. Should be fun as I've got a bunch of neighbor kids who are just starting to ride.
Likes For reverborama: