Thread: M756 hubs
View Single Post
Old 06-05-20, 11:24 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
I am not going to research the other hubs that you cited. So, no opinion on them. And even if I had researched them, since I have not used them any opinion I had would be of little use.

Front hubs, I found the XT to be trouble free when I did use them. But a front hub often has half or maybe a bit more than half as much weight on it as the rear, so front wheels usually hold up well.

Shimano has made a number of newer hubs that have Aluminum axles. Sometimes you hear of bearing failures in those hubs, the Aluminum axle is much larger than the steel axle so they used smaller bearings in those hubs. My only comment would be that you might want to avoid rear Shimano hubs with bearings that are smaller than the quarter inch ball bearings that the M756A has and for that reason also avoid the Aluminum axles. That was why I cited steel axles in my previous post.

The other hubs you cited, if they had smaller bearings, that might be a consideration.

Very nice looking Airnimal. Looks newer than mine, but old enough to be rim brake. From the photo I can't tell if those are 507 or 520 wheels, I have 507. Interesting how you have an upside down frame bag on top of the top tube. Photo of mine is at:
https://www.bikeforums.net/20336169-post735.html

As I looked for teh link above to post here, I see that you had already found it and "liked" it. But instead of erasing the text I just wrote above, I left it in case others might be interested in this topic.

Looks like yours is a 1X setup. I have the three speed Sram Dual Drive rear hub on my Airnimal to give me a wider gear range. Thus I have a slightly smaller chainring since the third gear on the Dual Drive is an overdrive.

On my Airnimal, I have a XT front hub, I think it is an M770, it is one of the Aluminum axle hubs. I am not nervous about that hub having the smaller bearings because it is a front hub. It is my only Aluminum axle hub that is not a dyno hub. I heard somewhere that the axles on SP hubs are also Aluminum, so in that regard I do tour on Aluminum axles up front. But overal I am not too concerned about SP hubs, their bearing failures are pretty rare.