View Single Post
Old 09-07-20, 01:14 PM
Beurt

Bikes: Batavus flying Dutchman 50's - Mercier tour de France service des courses 71 - Peugeot early 80's VTT - gazelle tandem 70's - Motobecane interclub tandem - Motobecane 650b randonneur - and more

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 11 Posts
Hi everyone this is my first post on this forum. Thanks for creating this thread Jacco!
I have bought the same gazelle tandem bike in France this morning as a gift for my girlfriend.
It's in an overall OK condition, is painted the same color as yours and I too will have to rebuild a rear wheel as it's been replaced by something that only matches the size of the original. No speeds, and no brakes on the back of this bike. It was not used like that but served as decoration in a shop.
I will have to source a hub with brakes, spokes and rim just like you did, but I'd really rather not forcing the frame wider and risk ruining the geometry.
What was the original width? Is there a modern hub compatible with this mesure with 3 speeds minimum and brakes, or should I go for a second hand original replacement vintage Sturmey?
This will be my first time building a wheel from the ground up, it's both exiting and intimidating!
For the rim I'd rather find a chrome one to macth the front one that I plan on keeping.
Thanks for your insight, I'll post pictures soon!