Old 11-12-19, 05:32 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by 63rickert
I wear a helmet mostly because I can't get far from the front door without being assaulted by the helmet police. Re-hashing what's on this thread ten times a ride with angry self-righteous riders just ruins any ride. So I wear the helmet.

But it would be better if I could buy a helmet that fits. Or, rather, if I could get a helmet that fits under $200. If the straps need to be let out so far that the buckle slides off the end of strap on a regular basis the helmet is just too small.

It would be better if a simple all white helmet could be had under $200. Not all of us want screaming graphics on our heads.

Better still if the helmet was plausibly protection rather than a gesture. Wearing a beer cooler on my head does not impart confidence. My first non-hairnet helmet was a Monark, made in Los Angeles, and it was made of fiberglass. Also had a non-joke liner. And straps that were easy to clean and comfortable. And wearing that crash hat did not once get salt in my eyes. And I could wear a hat under it. Today if I want to go for a ride in the cold only the thinnest skull cap fits under the helmet and the straps dig into my throat.

That Monark was purchased in 1985. Nothing as good can be had today at any price. If you are going to force me to wear the helmet, and I do wear the helmet, could you at least make something half decent available?
You want a hard lined helmet?! Are you kidding? The helmet has to dissipate the energy away from your head, foam does that better than denser materials.

Do a bit more shopping. My son has similar sizing problems to what you are describing, and I was able to find him a MIPs helmet for $60, and it was sans any annoying graphic design.