Old 11-16-18, 01:02 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
Two points to consider.

1- you absolutely cannot mix angular and radial bearings on the same axle. Angular contact bearings require a thrust load to maintain contact, and the reaction forces would be harmful to a radial bearing which isn't intended to handle significant thrust forces.

2- Angular bearings require micrometer adjustment to establish proper preload and zero play contact. Many (most?) hubs using radial bearings lack that kind of precise adjustment capability, and likewise cannot be set for an axial preload.

From a practical standpoint, there's no benefit to angular contact bearings other than the fact that hubs designed for them have the precision adjustability (beause they have to), while many hubs designed around radial bearings lack it. OTOH - if your hub has that level of adjustability, then you can use it to eliminate any play on the existing bearings, so a change isn't necessary.

FWIW - the most significant rational for choosing angular vs. radial bearings in bicycle hubs relates to design and manufacture, and not to function Angular contact was the logical choice for years because they made sense when using threaded axles. The user fine tuning that design offers frees the maker from manufacturing to precise tolerances. It's a rude/crude design, easy to produce, and easy to maintain, and has served for over a century. Radial bearings require close tolerance manufacturing, unless some user adjustability is provided. With modern manufactucturing methods, the required precision isn't a problem, freeing the maker to use radial bearings, and saving the costs and weight that the angular contact designs imply.
Thanks

I posed this question to my wheel builder, Jude at Sugar, and here is what she said about using AC bearings with my White T11 hub:

Yes, it would be ideal to have angular contact bearings as the outermost bearings in the hub. White Industries doesn't do this as a stock option because it's a lot of bearings for them to manage in inventory. But, as we replace bearings here, we use angular contact bearings which will require an adjustment.

Then I asked about the preload issue and her response was:

The locking collar on the non-drive side is actually an adjusting collar. So you'll lock down the collar just until the play disappears which is much like doing the bearing adjustment but you will have to be aware of any play in your wheel.

So I guess its possible but not clear why its ideal on the outermost bearings.