Old 03-26-20, 06:08 AM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
I just had to order a tool from Shimano. It's not going to get here until mid-April!!! I refused to pay the 41 freaking dollars amazon wanted to get in to me next week (not a Prime member). Maybe should have tried locally, but they are all closed by law now.

I realize it's only cycling, but I am currently having some seriously bad-timing maintenance issues, including, possibly, front der cable just broke (internally routed, no idea how to do that myself), maybe a need for a new BB--which I also do not have all the tools to remove old-install new for. I realize people are sick and dying and I totally get the need for all these measures. Fully support all that. That said, one of the major ways I control my bipolar symptoms is on my bike. Meds only do so much for me at this point. My voices go away, my paranoia goes away, racing thoughts, blah, bleeh, blooh, all the madness just drifts away and it is just me and the road. It is often the only place I have peace. If I can't do that, I am going to literally lose my freaking mind. Just sayin'.
My experience with Amazon bike related purchases overseas is the item arrives much sooner than the suggested lead time.

As far as replacing internal cables, go to youtube and search on "replacing internally routed bike cables" You will find a number of vids that will help you replace your cables without buying a lot of tools.

For removing cranks and replacing your BB there are literally tons of youtubes on this topic. There are literally tons of different BBs styles and tools needed to service so a bit of research is needed. My crank puller, I purchased when I was 14 years old, I'm now 62.

On the topic of tools, most repairs and service can be performed with tools you probably already have. Anyone who wants to work on their bikes should have at least one book on bike repair such as Zinn and the Art of (road or mountain) Bike Repair. Find something used on the second hand book market but for just about every possible repair there are numerous youtubes out there for free. Most of these sources will help you make a tool to do a specific job. Maybe not bike shop elegant but something that works.
Likes For Thomas15: