Old 03-26-20, 12:49 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
No. "Your honor. ABC Bike Shop lent my client a tool to adjust his handlebars when it knew, or should have known, that my client was mechanically inept. My client was subsequently injured when his mis-adjusted handlebars cause him to crash."
I'm no lawyer, but I'm sure there are legal ways to avoid that. Tool rentals give people chainsaws, welders and all kind of equipment without any proof of capability. However, any additionally required insurance or lawyer-approved waiver forms will add to the rental cost.

Originally Posted by dedhed
If it was a viable option it would be common.
you have a point... but according that that no new invention ever would be funded. No one would use the internet for commerce if in 1985, or whenever, people would not have started it because there was no application yet.

It probably is feasible, just ot economically. At least not within the current LBS model. It kind of is feasible, in the co-op model. There you don't realy rent the tool and take it home, you use it there. But the co-op model is not based on actual economics. They have volunteers, get a lot of tools and materials donated etc. Hard to compete with.

I don't know specifics and if that is still a thing. But there used to be car shop spaces one can rent since having a lift etc. at home is not realistic. Not sure if that still exists. but a bike is easy to repair (no car lift needed etc., and the tools are relatively cheap)