View Single Post
Old 04-05-20, 09:09 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
Originally Posted by RockiesDad
Been thinking about a N+1 lately and was interested in a steel frame and came across Fairlight who is in London UK.
I took delivery of a Secan frame from them last August. The process was as smooth as I hoped. Dom is a really accessible guy via email for questions- over the course of a few emails, I geeked out a bit and went down the rabbit hole with him on design theory and why he chose some certain things. It was really neat.

The frame was packed simply and nicely. Well designed packing that used minimal waste.
I had to pay $56.60 to DHL thru its website as an import duty fee. Keep in mind this was when the dollar was the strongest it's been in at least a decade, so the frame cost was great and the fee is a % of the cost.
I just looked, the dollar is close to what it was then right now.

The frame was ready earlier than predicted, shipped the day I paid(or day after due to time difference, I guess), and arrived 4 or 5 days later.

Really smooth process all around.
What frame are you considering? I love the Secan and if I did t already have more road bikes than I need, a Strael would be top of my list for modern road build.

Keep in mind that for the Secan, even though the main triangle is 853, it isnt a feather. The 853 they use is stout and it's used to ensure the frame pass quality certification. If you are considering a Secan and want to know the frame weight of a size or two, post them up and I'll reply as I still have the weights list from when I went thru the process.

https://www.bikeforums.net/cyclocros...can-build.html