View Single Post
Old 05-20-18, 10:29 AM
Cute Boy Horse

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by n0+4c u3
Gas engine kits should be outlawed, at least all but a few bikes.
I keep seeing the cheapest of the cheap with 80cc engines on them.
What gives? Why would someone put a fellow human on what is a death trap by any other name?
Sure that coaster brake or crappy rim brake might slow you down from 35 to 40mph a few times, but what then?
Once that brake gets hot there goes your stopping power.
Not to mention the stress dynamics it (frame+forks) was engineered for are multiplied by a factor.
35 to 40MPH?

ahaha no. 20 to 25 out of a standard kit, they're severely limited by the bad ports. Anyone who's knowledgeable enough to get 40 out of one is smart enough to fit adequate brakes.

It's a bit ridiculous to fearmonger. These have been a normal product for almost a hundred years, and aren't particularly unsafe. here in holland they're for old grannies who don't like to pedal much anymore and even then they're seen as a bit old fashioned since e-bikes became common. The problem with the chinese kit engines is that they need a significant amount of reworking to be powerful and reliable.

Still, I liked the one I had very much. £125 or so on ebay nowadays, vs an equivalent electric kit would be what, £800 and take six weeks to come from china? I know how to tune an engine so I know my choice.
Likes For Cute Boy Horse: