Old 07-09-19, 10:21 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 527 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by NoWhammies
@jadocs out of curiosity, do you wash your greased up t-shirts or toss them? And if you do wash them, do you have any concerns about getting grease inside the washing machine?
I toss them, a t-shirt will last me quite a while though. I cut or tear them into sections and I have "dirty" ones that I use first to get the funk off. Primarily the chain because the rings, cassette and pulley wheels don't get a chance to get funky. Then I have ones that are only used with alcohol, so they are not that dirty, I'll use those to do the rings, cassette and pulley wheels...to include a follow up on the chain with alcohol (eventually that will turn into a dirty one). I have a clean one dedicated to the rotors.

I use a section of old towel with damped with water to wipe down the tires. Doing so also enables me to inspect them. Found a bubble in my tread last month doing this and Mavic sent me two brand new tires as a result (great customer service btw). I've been using the same one for months. If there is anything stuck to my frame from riding on wet roads, I'll use a different damp towel section to wipe the frame off before I hit it with detail spray.

For the detail spray, I use my wife's microfiber dish rags (they get tossed eventually also and do not get used for dishes lol), spray on the rag and do rims, spokes, forks, frame, bars, shifters, seat.....

super anal, I know but I'm not kidding 30min and done because I've been doing it forever. Never have to resort to specialized products or chemicals.