terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3427 Post(s)
Liked 3,563 Times in 1,790 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio
I hit the big 6-0 in two weeks, and I'm getting back into regular cycling after a six-year hiatus. My long-term goal is to get into great shape...
Hey, we're almost in the same boat.

I hit the big 6-0 last year, and I got back on the bike 5 weeks ago after a 3-year hiatus. Trying to build up the effort gradually, shooting for 10-15 hours per week.

The first two weeks, I focused on hammering up short hills. Then I started doing longer hill repeats of 10-15 minutes on grades of 4-6%, with a couple endurance days thrown in. Then last week, I started adding in days with longer tempo climbs.

Improvement has been encouraging. I'm still considerably slower than when I rode regularly over 10 years ago, but my power is increasing 10-20% per week.

I got whipped yesterday on a long hot climb and cut the ride short. Today I don't have much energy, and my legs are sore, so I took a zone 1 recovery ride.

No formal training program. Each day, I let my body tell me what type of ride will do me good and still be enjoyable. It's supposed to be fun, right?