Old 09-09-19, 08:51 PM
Super D

Bikes: Canyon Road, Argon18 TT, DF Track

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by brawlo
I'd be measuring the chainline first before you went changing any alignments.

In my own experience, different chainrings, cogs and chains make for different noise levels. Some combos are almost silent, but changing one element can change the noise of the combo. Also look at chain/chainring/cog wear as that can be a logical source of noise.
I didn't know how to measure chainline, was just eyeballing it, but now reading Sheldon Brown's chainline measuring article.
(Any other methods or references you would recommend?)

All new everything, so no wear differences.

Originally Posted by taras0000
New chainring + old cog and chain will be noisier than usual because drivetrains wear together. Yes we swap cigs and rings all the time, but if your kit is 5 years old, and you throw a new ring on, then the chain won't mesh properly with the rings teeth.
All new stuff.

Originally Posted by taras0000
Sight your drivetrain by looking down your chain from ring to cog when your bike is on a workstand. The ring is a flat (or should be!) so it gives you a reference plane. Your ring and cog should line up. If not, a tooth's width either way is okay. Obviously, the further out from center, the worse/noisier it will be, but 2-3 mm either way should be ok.
I'm thinking I'd like to make it dead straight, if possible. To me, the noise indicates friction, so if I can get it straight, it should be quieter, but most importantly, a lower friction drivetrain.

Thanks guys, much appreciated.