View Single Post
Old 09-15-19, 06:26 PM
AeroGut

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 141 Posts
Reynolds 853 TT frame

I'm trying to help the local co-op price a frame that came in as a donation. It's a quite large time trial frame with a Reynolds 853 decal. Tubing is aero-shaped rather than perfectly round. Decals suggest it might have been made by Advanced Training Products in Oregon (Hanz and Alan Scholtz now of Bike Friday). I've contacted them to see if they did make it. It takes an unusual 30 mm OD press fit BB bearing similar to Merlins and Litespeeds of the 90's, which may or may not be a clue. It also has a pretty unusual seatstay/chainstay design. Also seems to be designed for a downtube shifter for the FD and bar-end for the rear (I'm assuming it had aero TT bars). I don't know if any of that helps clue who might have made it.

So, on the plus side, it's Reynolds 853.
On the minus side, there's that weird BB standard, and it's a pretty aggressive downward sloping top tube TT geometry, so not exactly comfortable for a lazy sunday ride, and I doubt many people are still interested in a steel TT bike for actual racing. It's also quite large - 64 cm to the top of the seat tube, 57 cm to the top tube (the big difference is due to the long seat tube extension)

Any thoughts on a ball-park ask for the frame alone if willing to ship nationally? (I've added a fork and wheels for one photo just to show the geometry, but just the frame is the item of interest. Fork isn't original to the frame.)

Last edited by AeroGut; 09-15-19 at 06:55 PM.