View Single Post
Old 01-31-06, 03:41 PM
C4Byke
South Jersey

Bikes: Fuji SC Team, Trek STP 400, C-Dale F700, a myriad of old collectable, retired ELF BMXer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Snicklefritz
I haven't been part of a crash in a race, but I've seen a few. They span a wide range. There was a big crit where I saw a bunch of guys go down (4-5) some came unclipped and went over their bars, but got back up and continued in the race, albeit with a lot of road rash. On the other extreme, a friend of mine was knocked over by someone who swerved to get around a crash. My friend came unclipped, flew over two people and landed on their elbow and had to have surgery.

I think it's something you have to be aware of, but I wouldn't let that deter you from racing. One thing to keep in mind. It is much better to do an emergency stop to avoid a pile-up (if there is one in front of you) than to swerve suddenly to try to go around it. There were a lot of crashes in the CAT4 women's field last year in my area when people tried to swerve around a crash. they would have been better off doing an emergency stop then to take out 10 more people by swerving.
Be careful on being too subjective, if everyone slammed on their brakes all the time there would be a lot more crashing going on...I for one have saved several field sprints through my own bike handling merits as opposed to panic stops.