Old 07-08-16, 06:02 AM
dvdslw

Bikes: Santa Cruz Stigmata

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by redfooj
At the same pressure, the Pro One *seems* a bit more solid and substantial, that isn't meant in a good way, its as if I'm rolling on a solid block of rubber, rather than a thin sheet of silk (as tubulars are often romanticized)
At the same inflated pressure as a tubed clincher, yes, the Pro One's do ride hard but why would you ride them inflated that high? I'll admit, I started out at 100psi when I got my Pro One's and was surprised as to how hard they felt but they're really sensitive to pressure changes and backing them down just 5-10psi made a huge difference. I ride mine at 85psi in the front and 90psi in the rear which gives them an awesome ride quality unlike any other tire I've ridden (700x23 I'm 225lbs). I've been riding the Pro One's since November and have just recently noticed them wearing to the point I'm looking for replacements. I rode a few sets of Hutcinson Fusion 3's before these which were bomb proof and seemed to never wear out so there's other options out there depending on what you're looking for but the Pro One's seem to be the best performer as of now.

BigPoser, give tubeless a shot, I've been riding tubeless for around three years and see no reason to switch back to tubed at this point. A lot of people will try to scare you away from it saying its messy, hard to mount, no real difference in ride, etc... but the reality is its just different and some here just simply don't like change. Tubeless tires have come a long way since their inception years ago, they are lighter, easier to mount, and a bit cheaper too.

I would recommend if you decide to give it a try to practice mounting the tires several times before you put the sealant in so you have confidence out on the road in the event of a flat. My first attempt was dreadful to say the least and I didn't think the tire would ever go on the rim but after actually listening to the proper mounting instructions and taking my time, I can now mount any tubeless tire without tools confidently. The key is keeping the tire beads wet with water and in the center channel of the rim during the whole process of mounting the tire starting opposite of where the valve stem is on the rim. Once on the rim be sure the tire is between the rim and stem, not sitting on top of it. Out on the road if you flat just treat it like its a std clincher setup using your usual flat kit with a tube, lever, and pump.

Good Luck, and let us know what you decide to do and how you made out. If you need any advice feel free to post back or pm any of us who have actual experience with tubeless.