View Single Post
Old 09-13-10, 12:46 AM
xargaun

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i concur, if you're measurements are accurate i think you would have no problem strapping it to the side of an xtracycle.

my daughter weighs more than the table, and i often let her ride in a milk crate strapped to the side. with this arrangement her weight ends up higher up and further off center than your table would, and it is not a problem.

given the frequency with which you would be loading/unloading it, i would recommend a center stand.

if you can handle the routine maintenance of your bike, you should have no problem installing an xtracycle freeradical kit. should have every part you need included. i did my first one in about 2 hours of work.

one thing that doesn't come with the kit though is a sturdy rear wheel. first bike i used was an aluminum schwinn moab mountain bike and it had some lightweight wheels on it. i bent the rear wheel about 2 weeks after i put the freeradical on. i then got my lbs to build a nice wheel using a sun rhyno wheel with heavy gauge spokes and never had a problem after that. i also had them use a hub on that wheel that would work with disc brakes (the freeradical has mounts for both kinds of brakes) and some time later added a disc brake to the back instead of the V brakes it had to start with. worked out much better on hill descents. found that the V brakes would cook in no time and turn the brake shoes to goo when i had a load on.

last thing i have to share on this one, i ended up swapping the suspension fork for a rigid one. with the addition of the free radical the suspension fork ended up being bottomed out all the time, and made it feel unstable when i would have to crank hard to get up a hill. i used a steel fork that would support disc brakes and added a disc brake to the front as well. probably don't need disc brakes, but they sure are nice when you are packing around cargo a lot.