Old 10-08-16, 07:43 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1856 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by johnsmith246
Hi all,

So, what else can I try? Before getting a "proper" touring bike, I was doing similar routes on a much cheaper, badly fitted, old, hybrid bike and never felt any pain. Too bad it can only accommodate a rear pannier!

Cheers.
Perineal pain is one of my problems in cycling, as well. So is the intoxicating feeling of a lot of power in my legs as I pedal. The power seems greater when I raise my saddle to get a longer leg extension. But the trade-off is that with my saddle on the high side my hips rock back and forth.

What helps me is to iteratively (just a few mm at a time) lower the saddle so my hips don't rock, then position the saddle (tilt and front-back) so my body isn't inclined to slip forward off of the "platforms." Usually when this is done I have to make a small adjustment or two height adjustment or two.

The good spot is when my knees don't hurt (saddle not too low), my spin is fast, free, and easy, I don't have peri pain when I start the ride with it healed, and the shorts at the end of the ride have not sign of blood where the peri is covered.

I use the Selle Anatomica, but I've found the same approach has helped me with Brooks and Specialized saddles.

I haven't found an Ann Arbor fitter who can really help with this procedure. Invariably even the best ones position by by formula.

When I'm done with this (it's happened only twice!!), usually I find my hands are lightly loaded, and I can pass the Hogg no-hands test.