View Single Post
Old 07-15-18, 01:12 PM
Mobile 155

Bikes: 2013 Haro FL Comp 29er MTB.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1470 Post(s)
Liked 45 Times in 35 Posts
If the first question asked is serious and has some relation to transportation cycling and weight loss or obesity then the formula is clear. It will always come down to calories in verses calories out. How cycling makes people feel is 100 percent subjective. But how slow cycling for a short distance is measurable.

Slow cycling uses about 31 calories per mile. Oatmeal for breakfast is about 150 to 180 for a small bowl. No sugar no butter no milk. It takes 4 to 6 miles just to burn those 150 to 180 calories. Somewhere I have read the average American diet is 2000 calories or more. At 12 mph it will take closer to 8 to 10 hours to burn off calories at 12 mph. And considering 12 mph isn’t even aerobic I might take longer. It is diet and exercise and most exercise calculations show aerobic exercise is more efficient at getting the bodies furnace going. So if indeed weight loss is what the OP post was about strolling and coasting along on a bike will not do it without extra exercise and diet.

Just as an an aside I was never as awake or energetic as I was the eight years I rode my motorcycle to work. As exciting as it was it wouldn’t help with weight loss.

Last edited by Mobile 155; 07-15-18 at 01:16 PM.