Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
This 65+ thread seems to have died a natural death
Originally Posted by DnvrFox
OK, CW, we are awaiting!
Yeah, you're right. Thread kinda looks like a wall filled with graffiti tags sprayed on by wobbly old geezers propped up on walking sticks, doesn't it? So no worries. I'll see if I can help!

It was my old dad you see! Gettin' on into his 80s now, and facing a medical for license renewal later in the year. Gettin' a bit concerned and depressed about it all, too, cause even though he can see what's going on around him when he's driving he can't read those ridiculous little little "Stand ten feet away and read the fifth line" thingumibobs!

Of course, being the kind and concerned son that I am I addressed his fears, and sought to allay them a bit.

"Guess you'll be riding a treadlie up and down to the shop, then?"

He gave a bit of a "Hrrmmmpphh!" to that, as I expected he would. But a few days later I saw him wheel one of the bikes out of the shed and sneak around and up the drive with it, so I wandered out.

I got around the front of the house only to see him pedal a few yards, wobble all over the place, and then stagger half way across the yard, red in the face, trying to get off the thing.

"I can't bloody ride that thing! Face facts! I'm past it and I'm useless and ....."

The muttering kept going all the way back up the driveway and into the shed. The face was gettin' kinda redder too. He wasn't really in a mood for conversation at that point in time, so I muttered over the top of his mutterings to say

"Ya know, if it strikes ya fancy to try that again sometime I reckon you oughta let me know. I reckon that seat is a bit too high for ya, and I might have to drop it down so's you can ride the thing!"

Later that day, after Mrs CW and I returned from a visit to our son's house, I saw him wander in to chat with her.

"I'm not gonna tell him" I could overhear him saying "but I tried ring that bike while you were out and it was a bloody disaster! Fell arse over head in the driveway and it hurt so much it took me half an hour to get up again."

I didn't say anything, on account of how he was whispering so loud and not wanting me to hear, but I had a chat with my son about it the next day. Shortly afterwards the old bloke wandered in, only to have his grandson say

"You know, old bloke, there's about half a dozen old chooks in town who ride adult sized trikes and cart baskets around on them for the shopping!"

My goodness! THAT sure sparked another red-faced muttering spasm episode!

I'm kinda expecting him, sometime in the near future, to have a chat about lowering that bike seat down