Old 07-20-19, 07:42 AM
PugRider

Bikes: Fuji Sportif 1.7C, Shogun Metro AT, Jamis Durango SX, Miyata Alumicross, Fuji Special Road Racer, Mongoose ATB, Fuji SST 1.0 Team, Gitane (?), Specialized Rockhopper SS, Univega Gran Turismo, Univega Supra Sport Mixte, Nishiki Tri-A, Diamondback Coil

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 78 Posts
Fuji Sportif 1.7 owner here! It has been my main steed since I bought it new. Man, some off-the-cuff misconceptions flying around here. It's a a great bike, first of all. My go-to, and I have seven bikes. It's a comfortable, endurance-geometry road bike. Has held up exceptionally well for me, just wear items over time, obviously. Since the photo I've attached was taken, wear items, like I said, have been replaced, but I did put a Brooks Cambium saddle on, and I have 28c tires, which are nice.

-Don't know what sort of market conditions you have wherever you are, but 200 for a relatively modern road bike is a pretty decent deal where I'm from (Northeast, MA, specifically).

-Fuji makes great bikes. Yeah, their parent company went through some bankruptcy thing, but they seem to stand out as a good-value-for-the-money brand. They offer a full line of bikes from entry-level all the way up. I'm not the argumentative type on this forum, but it's always crazy to me when people are like "never heard of 'em" when Fujis get discussed. Wouldn't ride that if you paid me? C'mon, really?

-Through happenstance and obsessive perusing of local CL ads over the years, I have had several opportunities to upgrade my Sportif to 8,9,10 speed or whatever, but that Tourney 7 speed that never seems to get any love just works so damn good I never really feel like it's worth it. I mean I have NEVER had a problem with it. Ever. Been on 4 mile rides, and full centuries, and it has never, ever, ever let me down. Clicks up and down the gears like every single other STI shifter I have ever clicked up and down with.

-While I haven't really bothered because the bike just works so well, it will take upgrades like any other bike. Keep in mind it has a straight steerer tube, but even though the rear has a 7-speed cassette, the wheel itself is spaced to 130mm like most modern road bikes before we got into this whole disc thing. So whatever parts you have or come across from the past 15 years, go nuts.

-So, if it's not too late, I would certainly try my luck at making an offer at less than $200 if you think the buyer will bite. It wasn't an expensive bike when new, I will give the critics here that, at least. But a Fuji at its base is no better or worse than any other bike brand out there.

Fuji Sportif 1.7 by Eat More Plants1, on Flickr