Old 08-18-19, 03:29 PM
McNamara

Bikes: Orbea Orca and a cheap steel frame road bike of indeterminate origin

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by gregf83
No, the study shows that short sprints are more effective then heavy strength training that's all. Heavy strength training is better than strictly low intensity riding but it's not clear it's any better (and in this study it's worse) than sprinting on the bike.

Not quite. From the abstract:

"After a 4-weeks preparation strength-training period, the participants were randomized to add either HST or SST to their usual endurance training for the subsequent 6 weeks."

We don't know if the heavy strength training group did any sort of speed work at all, but it would seem that the groups did only endurance work and either weights or sprints for the last six weeks. In any case, both groups did strength training for the first four weeks. I wonder how the results would have differed if the group that did short-sprint training had not hit the gym first.

Peter falls into the pro cyclist category training 1000+ hrs on the bike per year. Once I reaches 1000+ hrs in a year I'll start adding in gym work

You don't have to be a pro to benefit from strength training. I'd argue that anyone who ever pins on a number should give lifting a try.
Likes For McNamara: