Old 08-20-19, 11:21 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Like Canari and a couple others, Garneau offers a price range from economy to full zoot. There's always a risk that cutting corners to meet a price point for their budget priced items will turn consumers off on the upper tier stuff.

I've had a good experience with Garneau products. I have a couple of their low tier jerseys and mid-line jersey, and all have help up fine. The logos peeled a bit on the low priced jerseys but the fabric, stitching, hems, zippers, etc., have all held up well. I think I paid $15 each from Nashbar on blowout three years ago.

The Lemmon II jersey is outstanding for brutal Texas heat, the most comfortable fabric I've worn including merino wool. No problems after a year of regular use -- logos are intact, including the matte black reflective details. The only shortcoming is the lack of a zippered pocket. Otherwise it's darned near perfect for the price ($50 MSRP, usually discounted).

I'm on a squeaky tight budget so anything I buy will probably be lower tier or heavily discounted. So far, so good with most stuff. That includes Garneau and Pearl Izumi jerseys and shorts, discontinued but excellent Scott Road Pro shoes ($50), Fizik Tempo R5 Powerstrap shoes (also $50 for the dark blue color that, apparently, nobody else wanted), even the rock bottom bargain Przewalski shorts. I just got another pair for $15 today and wore 'em for a 40 mile ride. The small size fits just as well with a little more compression. They're even more comfortable than the first pair I got in medium last year. Only a pair of Lancaster shorts from Nashbar has been a disappointment. The design was very good but the stitching has come apart in several places. That's often where corners are cut with low priced clothing -- fishing line "thread" and no lock stitches or finished knot.

Regarding shoe repair, try to find an old school cobbler. Or custom boot maker. They can work miracles. I've kept a 30 year old pair of Larry Mahon elk hide boots going for years with a little help from experienced boot cobblers -- easy to find here in Texas. If a shoe *can* be repaired, these folks will find a way.